Welcome to Charmed by Christine Portraits

Hi! My name is Christine Norman and I specialize in producing realistic People and Pet Portraits.

I hope you enjoy viewing my artwork and will be back to visit again soon!

If you'd like to order an original portrait of your own, or to give to that special someone, please contact me via the Contact Me link to the right of this page or by phone at (709) 730-0906.

Slideshow of My Recent Work

">

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Capelin are Rolling!!!

Good morning and welcome to Summer in Newfoundland! We've been having some gorgeous days of sun and whale-watching from Torbay. The capelin have been in for several weeks and are now rolling on the shore. Capelin feasting season has begun. I'll post two of my paintings for you to enjoy again.

 The first one is "Boys on the Beach," and is a trio of young men fishing for capelin at Torbay Beach while a minke whale does his own fishing just beyond them. I took the photographs for this painting my first summer in Newfoundland. The boys were using a net and a rod, hooking and snatching the capelin and dumping them into the bucket.

I'd never seen capelin before. I'd certainly never seen a whale so close-up before! Anybody who has been to Torbay Beach when the capelin are in has probably seen just how close the whales actually come to the shore! It's astonishing!! This year's whales nearly beached themselves on Little Beach in their enthusiasm!

Boys on the Beach
Original - Acrylic
Prints are available in variety of sizes - Please ask about them!

The photograph used for this next painting, "Casting for Capelin," was taken a few mornings later. I went down to watch the capelin, whale, and seagull show and found this fisherman! He must've been there for a while already because he had several fish buckets worth of capelin already. The photographer in me couldn't resist taking several pictures of him, and the artist in me decided to paint the scene. It brings back memories of the smell of the capelin, the screeching of the seagulls, and the early morning sun warm on my face.


Casting for Capelin
Original - Acrylic
Prints are available in a variety of sizes. Please ask me about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment